Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I think you're mostly correct, but it is a very troublesome area since conceptions of group rights have been accepted in a lot of different ways. To give examples, again, of what we talked about, group rights conceptions range from believing that ethnic groups have a right to an independent country to the belief that proportional representation is a better electoral system because it allows lower classes or women to gain seats in parliament to believing that racial or ethnic minorities deserve preferential treatment in admission to college.

Part of my problem is that I'm for some policies that are based on group rights. But I simultaneously have a strong dislike of group rights based on my internal norms regarding individualism and legal equal protection. In short, that all men are created equal.

So, my next question is then how can we separate out policies based on group rights? Can we tidy up our thinking regarding groups rights?

No comments: