Wednesday, December 21, 2005

What's Christmas About?

Ok, I can't help putting in a few words about the "War on Christmas."

Regardless of any such wars, every year there is a debate about the "true meaning" of Christmas. On the one hand, there are sincere Christians who want us to remember the birth of Jesus. And on the other hand is Santa Claus, who tells us that the season is really about giving sutff (and thus keeping American retailers alive.)

I must admit that I'm not a particularly religious person and I didn't grow up in a religious household. (And I still haven't murdered anyone.)

So, to me, Christmas is not really about the birth of Jesus. There I said it. But I also think that it is often too commercialized. So, there has to be a third way of understanding what Christmas is about--or rather what it has come to mean in American society.

It certainly has some content independent of both the spiritual and commercial messages.

With that in mind, I will pass you off to the Washington Post which has this interesting column about Irving Berlin.

No comments: