Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Re: Republic v. Democracy

I think part of what drives the false distinction made in the popular political dialogue between republic and democracy is an attempt by those on the right to denigrate the term "democracy" and hence "Democrats". Consequently, if they can convince people that the United States is a Republic, then people should vote for Republicans.

While I believe that this occurs, I doubt there was ever a Vast right wing memo about talking about things in this way. However, viewing things from the lowest common denominator, I am sure that some folks in the grass roots of the Republican party actually believe this.

Lemme put that differently, uneducated country Republicans here in the fair state of our birth have explicitly told me that. It is important to note that I said "uneducated" not "dumb".

No comments: