Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Iraq Disconnect

There seems to be a real disconnect occurring right now in the way the Left looks at where we are in Iraq. I don't really have a citation to prove my point, meaning I don't have a link that will demonstrate what I am talking about, but I am going forward with my point anyway.

If you look at Buzzflash.com, they have been linking stories that on the one hand call for us to pull out of Iraq immediately, or at least bash the Bush administration for getting us in that mess.

On the other hand Buzzflash has been linking to stories bashing the Bush administration for failure to recognize what a mess Iraq has become, given the Bush administrations continued pollyanna-ish views on the current situation in Iraq.

While I acknowledge that bashing the bush administration is a good thing, I fail to understand what Buzzflash's point is. I guess the apparent conflict is just that, apparent. I mean one can recognize that Iraq is a mess with no end in sight, and therefore we must make an end by beginning to withdraw our troops.

Personally, I think it would be disasterous for us to withdraw now. I also think it is disasterous that we are not doing more to pacify the country. I realize the shortages of manpower the U.S. military has, but I don't know how effective we can be relying on barely trained Iraqi units to pacify the country. This doubt is further encouraged by the fact that Iraqi policemen and military recruits seem to be the prime targets of the insurgency at the moment. It just makes sense to me that United States soldiers should be doing the jobs of the Iraqi police and military units we are training until the insurgency is defeated. Put more bluntly, why are we trusting native allies to help us in our colonial experiment when it would be better for the long term stability of the country if we just did things ourselves? I realize that I am essentialy calling for more U.S. troops to be put in harm's way, and that a higher U.S. body count would result from my position, but we are in this mess up to our necks and something must be done to insure we win.

No comments: